Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July











I LOVE the 4th of July! I've spent it every year with my family since I can remember.

This week started with a visit from Uncle Clay. He was only in town for a couple days but he got to meet his first nephew. True to form., Clay likes to play a little rough but Davis seemed to like it. I always say he gets puppies and children mixed up. Clay even brought Davis his first little camper outfit. Hopefully Clay will come do that with Davis when he's older. Mommy & Daddy aren't so much campers in our "old age".

Friday is my sort of day off so I worked until about 12:30 and then mom, dad, and I met Kim at lunch outside in downtown Carmel. I chugged a margarita just a little too fast but I was in a good mood! Friday evening Stacy & JJ came home. I do have to say it is nice that both the families are in town so they're not back and fourth between towns when they come to visit. The Pease's just moved into to a beautiul Cape Cod home on Sagamore Golf Club. I've gotten to know the whole family (sans Emily who lives in CO) and Stacy is really very lucky in the in-law department. I don't think you could find a more adorable woman than Kathy Pease. I just wanna pick her up and put her in my pocket!

Sat we did our usual Farmer's marketing and errands. We made a stop at the hoppin' Joe's(Lazzara) Butcher Shop and stocked up on some yummy meat for the cookout at moms Sunday. We decided to do the 4th festivites at moms this year b/c frankly, the cleaning at my house has been a little on the light side since Davis was born. Plus, there were 20 people and there just isn't room since I have no yard in the back. But, I helped do the cooking and preparations. I tried to make a flag cake and we should have known not to let ME bake anything. It was out of a box that I later discover was from when I was in COLLEGE! Needless to say it was a little off so mom whipped something up and nobody was the wiser. We had super yummy pulled pork that Matt's dad brought down so we'd have some in our freezer a few weeks ago. Mom made chicken and hot dogs and most folks brought something to pitch in. It was really nice with all those people there-I had like 10 people willing to watch Davis so I could relax while daddy played cornhole. I have a few pics- most of which Davis is naked b/c it was so hot. I can't believe I didn't get any in his official 4th of July outfit that Nana bought him! Darn it!
All of the Carmel festivites were on the 5th this year...we started the day with the parade. I love the parade. It's my favorite part of the holiday. Its not great or anything but quite nostalgic. And people are serious. Chairs go up a full 24 hours before the parade even begins. Dad always plays tennis so he stakes out a place with chairs so have something in the shade. We've been sitting in the same place since I was born. Stacy, Dana (& Layla), JJ, Davis, I went to Kroger to get the customary over-abundance of donuts before the parade begins. Davis didn't even flinch at the sirens. He was quite a good boy. My 13 year old cousin, Grant, is staying at my parents for a couple weeks and I think Jill is confused on his age. She kept telling him to go fetch candy from the clowns. Maybe she thinks he's 8. He just laughed at her like the rest of us did. Oh well. The rest of the afternoon we spent at my parents. Matthew went home to work and rest (he's been getting up early with Davis) while Davis and I watched movies and played in the yard. It was a very nice restful day all in all. Since Davis's bedtime is a full hour before fireworks begin we skipped the big ones this year and just did some in the driveway. Davis is still so young he doesn't know to be scared of the loud cracks and bangs. He didn't even flinch, my big boy.
I can't wait til next year when Davis can run around and actaully partake in the festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment